Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday Blogspot: 2 blogs for the price of 1!

First Snow

Nov. 20: Today was our first snow in Boston! I was walking to my car after work thinking about how forlorn and lonely the grass looked against the fading trees. Its green was just begging to turn itself into something more subtle, so it wouldn't keep sticking out like a sore thumb. It seemed to be calling out in its tiny little grass voice, "Snow on me! Please snow on me!" I thought, "What a profound observation for my blog! Now, if only it would snow at this exact moment!"

And then, it did. Wispy little flakes flew down at first, and then great big clumpy ones began to fall. By noon, we'd received several inches and the frosted pines outside our office gave off the appearance of a veritable winterwonderland.

In late afternoon, a light rain melted away all the snow. By Turkey Day, we were back to a balmy 68 degrees!

Thanksgiving
Nov. 22: Thanksgiving in the Saylor household this year proved to be a grand success, thanks to the help of our San Diego visitors, Mark and Crystal Eutizi. (God bless them; they are very handy in the kitchen!)The day began lazily with a 10 am wake-up call. How true that we gen-Xers are loathe to rise at the crack of dawn to begin Grandma's recipes when hours before the turkey should be on the table, we can print 30-minute versions off recipeezaar.com! To exemplify this principle, I should note that I'd actually printed a lovely make-and-bake-the-night-before brunch casserole recipe offline in efforts to appear like an organized baby-boomer who prepares for the morrow. I'd even shopped for the ingredients 4 days before. Instead of slaving over my stove on Wed. night, however, we accompanied the Eutizis to a cozy little Italian dive (Giacomos) for dinner in the North End and didn't get home until 11:30. I completely forgot about my recipe, so we ate the eggs and sausage individually on T-day morning.

After our somewhat less dignified, but equally "fat and happy" breakfast, we sailed down to Plymouth to view the Mayflower model ship and paid a visit to Plymouth Rock. You'll be interested to know that the historical revisionists have not let Plymouth alone to revel it's glorified past. At every turn upon your visit to the mock plantation, ship, or rock monument you are accosted with negative quotes about "our" egregious errors in taking the "New World" for England. While I do not deny mistreatment of the Indians, I find comments like, "Thanksgiving should be a day of mourning for the atrocities we committed toward the natives" a mite preposterous. My theory is that this backlash has been caused by the Plymouth locals who, sick of 200+ years of tourists, have made the historical exhibits as negative as possible to discourage return. Well, "Ha Ha to you, Plymouth!" This was my 4th time clogging up and jay-walking across your fair village streets, so you can't stop me from glorying in trans-Atlantic survival and relating to the pathos of those seeking freedom of religious expression!

3 comments:

Julie Handel said...

So fun! Way to show those history revising tourist haters!

Ethan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ethan said...

I completely agree. I think you should have some fun some time, and next time you go down there, tell those Ply-mouthers that the heralded story of their beloved town is itself merely an ersatz version of actual history, at least as far as Bryson is concerned. Observe:

http://www.uta.edu/faculty/kulesz/Engl%203340/Bill%20Bryson%20excerpt.htm

This from an excellent book entitled "Made in America." I urge thee, make haste and read this tome. I read it. I laughed. I cried. It was better than "Cats."